Compiling Perl on SMP 5.1-RELEASE box

Brendan Harris bharris at stotch.com
Thu Oct 9 10:04:27 PDT 2003

I figured this was more appropriate for freebsd-hackers than freebsd-questions.

Here's the deal.  I'm trying to compile Perl 5.8.1 on a FreeBSD 5.1 SMP box.  The kernel is compiled with SMP, APIC and npx support.  GCC is version 3.3.1, compiled with POSIX thread support.

When I configure Perl with -Dusethreads -Duseithreads (or even 5005threads), it configures properly with no errors, but when I do `make' I get the following error:

`sh  cflags "optimize='-O'" miniperlmain.o`  miniperlmain.c
          CCCMD =  /usr/bin/gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -DAPPLLIB_EXP=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/BSDPAN -DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H -ansi -ffloat-store -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -O  -Wall
`sh  cflags "optimize='-O'" perl.o`  perl.c
          CCCMD =  /usr/bin/gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -DAPPLLIB_EXP=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/BSDPAN -DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H -ansi -ffloat-store -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -O  -Wall
perl.c: In function `S_init_perllib':
perl.c:3949: error: parse error before '/' token
perl.c:3949:42: too many decimal points in number
*** Error code 1

I added in the "-ansi" and "-ffloat_store" gcc arguments after I was already getting this error, just to see if it would fix the problem, but it did not fix it.

I can compile Perl without thread support and it works fine.  But with thread support it gives me the same error every time.

The box is a dual CPU Pentium III 600 and is loading the Pentium Pro MTRR support.

This happens with Perl 5.8.0 as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

--Brendan