Changing the NAT IP on demand?

Yar Tikhiy yar at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 6 06:29:20 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 07:54:00PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> That, by itself, is not hard.  Here's the trick.  I want the switch
> to be seamless.  That is, if NAT is translating to ISP #1 and the
> application says switch to #2 the existing translations to #1 (until
> they go away naturally) should be kept, while new ones go to #2.

Just a random thought: If natd(8) were taught to change its default
alias address on the fly (it's just a single variable,) then the
desired effect would be achieved exactly.  That's because any session
already having its own entry in natd's aliasing table would use its
old alias address kept in the entry.  BTW, one could switch between
even more than 2 external connections in that manner.  And that's
just a step away from session-aware load-balancing with natd(8).

--
Yar