total hang when cu -l /dev/cuaa0

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Oct 4 01:25:58 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:36:29PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > > The modem coild also be something proprietary for which there is no
> > > driver available.

> > > Why do you expect anything usefull by accessing half working hardware?
> >
> > Well, I would expect an I/O error or no such device. Wouldn't that be
> > at least a minimum one could expect? But a crash or hand? No.
                                                           ^^ I believe I wanted
to say 'hangup'.

> > one could expect? But a crash or hand? No.

Smoteihng got colbbreed drunig tpynig. ;-)

> You can't expect anything reliable from a device which is broken.
> The kernel already warned you that something seems to be questionable.
> In the same way you can't expect getting an IO error if someone cuts
> into your computer with a chainsaw - you may get one, but nobody can
> predict.

A device disabled by the BIOS should not be accessible in any way
by the kernel. It's not broken nor has anyone cut the devices with a chainsaw.
I don't read dmesg before I try to open /dev/cuaa0.

So an open on /dev/cuaa0 when sio is disabled in the BIOS should not result
in a bad hangup. That's my point.