total hang when cu -l /dev/cuaa0

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Fri Oct 3 13:15:21 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:21:28PM +0200, C. Kukulies wrote:

> I have disabled the SIO on my ASUS P4SX board because I have a PCI modem
> card inserted. But the modem card or the sio on it doesn't seem to be detected
> by the kernel. Instead I see two sios (sio0 and sio1) which are flagged
> as possibly disabled (?) - why are they seen when I disabled them in the BIOS?

PCI serials shouldn't collide with legacy ones - PCI has different IO
Space.
Many boards don't disable interfaces completely - I wouldn't be suprised
if just the irq was dropped.
You need a different driver for your PCI one - e.g. puc.
The modem coild also be something proprietary for which there is no
driver available.

> When I run getty (or mgetty) on that port or when I do a cu -l /dev/cuaa0
> the system freezes.

Why do you expect anything usefull by accessing half working hardware?

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de