ifconfig(8) refactoring -- YACC grammar now online

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sun Nov 30 01:23:09 PST 2003

Hi all,

As per Sam's suggestion, I've been working on refactoring ifconfig(8),
which has grown increasingly large and unwieldy. Part of the effort has
been to get a handle on all of the options we currently support; so I've
written a YACC grammar for it.

This is my first serious bit of work with YACC so I'd appreciate any
feedback you can give.

I've uploaded the grammar, makefile, and all the EPS files, here:-
	http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nifconfig/     (for browsing)
	http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nifconfig.tgz  (tarball)

I've also generated a PDF file you can view which shows you syntax diagrams
for each part of the parse tree. This is here:-
	http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nifconfig/all.pdf

I can't quite seem to persuade Ebnf2ps to generate a recursive unfolding
of all productions from argv downwards, though, that would be most helpful.

This involved rolling two ports, epsmerge and Ebnf2ps, to visualize the
syntax graphically. I will commit these ports once the freeze as over as
they're likely to be useful to a lot of people.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
BMS