"secure" file flag?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Nov 28 12:16:47 PST 2003

In message <20031128190143.GA31702 at freebie.xs4all.nl>, Wilko Bulte writes:
>On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:43:30PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> I have already described one solution to this in my GBDE paper at
>> BSDcon.

>> Now *that* is a DIY project for the dedicated hobbyist :-)
>>
>> The terminology and principle, is from atomic weapons which have a
>> similar security profile:
>> http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Pal.html
>
>Your interests sometimes worry me...

My interest in the cold war comes from having grown up in a place
that had one of the highest ratios of nuclear bulls-eyes to human
beings in Europe.

"The Great Belt" is a deep (75m) narrow strait (20km) which would
have been the soviets only chance of getting their baltic fleet
out, the other two straits are small enough that they could be
efficiently mined/blocked.  Already then, we knew that both sides
would have the strait in their atomic target lists, only later did
we find out how very very certain they wanted to be.

The trick is to be able to apply what you learn from one interest
to productive uses in other interests.

Poul-Henning

PS: Interesting historical tidbit: The observation that missiles
were on their way to Cuba came from the island Langeland in The
Great Belt.  If they hadn't noticed, the US blocade would have been
too late and the world probably quite different.
(http://www.rudkom.dk/museum/lm/frames/uk/menu/udstilling/fort01.html)