getpwnam with md5 encrypted passwds

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 27 01:37:55 PST 2003

Clifton Royston wrote:
>   If you will need to do authentication after your program drops
> privileges, your best course is probably to go through PAM, to install
> a separate daemon which implements a PAM-supported protocol and which
> runs with privileges, and then to enable that protocol as a PAM
> authentication method for your application.

[ ... RADIUS example with LDAP mention ... ]

Sounds like a good approach, though I'll point out that had
you tried LDP, you would have been hard-put to use LDAP as a
proxy protocol to another authentication base (a PAM backend
for an LDAP server, while not quite impossible, would be very
hard).

How did you avoid the recursion problem of the RADIUS server
trying to authenticate via pam_radius to the RADIUS server
tyring to authenticate ...

-- Terry?