Making a FreeBSD DVD

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Nov 23 20:30:21 PST 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 12:58, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I'd like to make my own distribution DVD's.  I know how to make
> CD's, but looking at release(7) I see lots of documentation for
> CD's, and none for DVD's.   Googling turns up nothing of interest
> in the first three pages.
>
> Can anyone point me to the documentation on how to build DVD's,
> a-la what they sell on FreeBSD mall?

I don't think the difference between the two is particularly relevant.

make release will make an directory suitable to put on a CD or DVD. It's just
that if you use a DVD you can fit a lot more packages/distfiles on the disk
(which make release doesn't do for you anyway).

Try it and see :)

I'm not sure if sysinstall groks UDF either, so I think it would be wise to
put at an ISO9660 compat FS on the disk.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5