Device polling, with SMP?

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Thu Nov 20 09:34:59 PST 2003

Has anyone here used DEVICE_POLLING on an SMP box?
I have one server which does recieve ~130kpps at times on an interface,
but I cannot enable DEVICE_POLLING because hte system locks up under
load from interrupts.

In this case I'm not sure which is better, disabling one of the CPU's,
or trying to make DECIVE_POLLING work with SMP.

I read Luigi's paper at info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/polling/ which at the
end implies that DEVICE_POLLING on an SMP box might not make sense - but
right now for me it would make sense as both CPU's are locked:
  One tries to handle interrupts
  The other tries to manage the application

I could try forcing DEVICE_POLLING to compile as is suggested in that
URL but I wanted to see if anyone had tried this before.

The interface is an FXP.

Thanks :)

--
Avleen Vig