ICH5 + SATA + Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ?

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Tue Nov 18 19:25:46 PST 2003

> I'm in the process of selecting new computers, and I'm tempted by an
> ASUS P4P800, with Seagate SATA disks.

> is there some actual, positive, experience in using the above combination,
> and with which stability ?

The ASUS P4P800 uses the Intel 865PE chipset.  I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP which
uses the Intel 875P chipset (almost the same thing) and a pair of Seagate
ST3120026AS (120 GB Barracuda 7200.7) disks.  They seem to work fine with
FreeBSD 4.9-Release in either native or legacy mode even though 4.9-Release
understands the ICH5 SATA controller only as yet another model of ICHx ATA
controller.  The driver thinks the disks are on an old 40 conductor IDE cable
and tries to do dma at ATA33 speed, but the controller ignores the driver
and runs at SATA150 rates.  I used to operate the ICH5 SATA controller in
native mode but had to switch to legacy mode because the AWARD BIOS won't
boot off the controller in native mode.  Legacy mode is less than ideal
because the driver can't operate both drives at once.

FreeBSD-current probably understands the SATA controller better than 4.9.
I used to use 5.1-Release but had to give it up because it was just too
flaky.  (The rest of 5.1 was flaky.  The 5.1 ATA driver seemed to work ok.)
I have not attempted to upgrade to current because the traffic in
current at freebsd.org suggests that it works correctly only on alternate
weekdays.

I have made no real attempt to stress the disk system.  It seems to work.
I have used it to install FreeBSD several times and caused hours of
continuous disk activity building ports and running miscellaneous programs.
I have noticed no hiccups.

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net