console redirection to serial in Freebsd 5.1

Loh John Wu ljwu at sandvine.com
Tue Nov 18 09:00:41 PST 2003

So I have a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.1 from a CD (ISO).

Now I'm trying to turn on console redirection in my image, but I can't seem
to get it to work properly.

I read the article on turning on console redirection at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setu
p.html

but I think that doc was geared towards a 4.X release as it says that
specific sio options
need to be set in the kernel config file.

However, reading the man page on the sio driver in 5.1-release man pages at

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sio&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Fre
eBSD+5.1-RELEASE&format=html

it seems that we just need to set those configs that used to be in the
kernel conf file in 4.7 in the
/boot/devices.hints file.

So I've set these options in the hints file to turn on the serial
redirection with the flag 0x90

hint.sio.0.at="isa"
hint.sio.0.port="0x3F8"
hint.sio.0.flags="0x90"
hint.sio.0.irq="4"
hint.sio.1.at="isa"
hint.sio.1.port="0x2F8"
hint.sio.1.irq="3"
hint.sio.2.at="isa"
hint.sio.2.disabled="1"
hint.sio.2.port="0x3E8"
hint.sio.2.irq="5"
hint.sio.3.at="isa"
hint.sio.3.disabled="1"
hint.sio.3.port="0x2E8"
hint.sio.3.irq="9"

I've also set in the /boot.config file the -P flag to
set the console to the serial console in the presence of a keyboard.

and I've changed /etc/ttys to allow for the ttyd0 as well.

I am using the generic FreeBSD 5.1 kernel with the generic 5.1 kernel config
options,
but from what I read, I think I can still enable serial console redirection
with the generic kernel.
Any ideas as to what I might be missing to have the redirection to teh
serial console.

Thanks,
John