Multiple IPs in Jail

Pawel Jakub Dawidek nick at garage.freebsd.pl
Thu Nov 13 00:40:17 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:01:23AM -0800, FB wrote:
+> We patched mijail5 (http://garage.freebsd.pl/mijail.README) against
+> RELENG_5_1. Most of the patch was successful with a little fuzz, except  for
+> a couple lines in jls which didn't patch due to cosmetic changes (easily
+> fixed).
+>
+> Before the patch was applied, the jail environment had no problem with dns.
+> After the patch was applied  however (and userland rebuilt both on host and
+> jail), dns breaks in the jail environment. Basically, gethostbyname  fails
+> and h_errno is set to 2 - Host name lookup failure. the system is configured
+> properly, since the only changes  are to the kernel and the modified jail
+> mechanism. Also interesting is that the failure is immediate, there is no
+> timeout.
+>
+> However, inbound/outbound TCP traffic is not effected. - we are able to ssh
+> in/out of the jailed environment.
+> I was testing outbound UDP traffic however - simple matter of binding a
+> socket to send a packet to a remote host.
+>
+> Outside the jail, it worked fine. inside the jail, sendto failed with a
+> EINVAL error.
+>
+> Any help on this topic would be much appreciated.

I've many reports about DNS problems with my patch in jail, that's true.
I can't promise, but I'll try to find some time in few days to track this
problem down.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel at dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net