Netgraph-ATM used in Masters thesis

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Nov 12 21:38:13 PST 2003

Hi,

I saw some posts to the cvs-all mailing list recently,
giving Harti Brandt a hard time for importing bsnmp
to the FreeBSD source tree, so I thought I would post this. :)

I recently used Netgraph-ATM as part of my masters thesis
at Harvard Extension School, which looked at ATM, CORBA,
and network management.  My thesis is online at:

http://crodrigues.org/thesis_web/

Netgraph-ATM played a big part in my thesis, and Harti was VERY helpful.
Harti even extended certain ATM device drivers with sysctl's
to get at lower-level register information which allowed me
to look at SONET alarm information.

The main reason I started using FreeBSD was because
of Harti's active maintenance of Netgraph-ATM, versus
the less-maintained ATM implementation under Linux.

While working on my thesis, I was so impressed with FreeBSD
that I switched my home systems over to it, and am still
using it, even though my thesis is done. :)

I realize that 99% of people out there don't use or care about
ATM and bsnmp being in the FreeBSD source tree , but I would just say:

- the stability of a lot of Netgraph ATM stuff improved when it
  got into the tree, since I didn't need to get private patches from
  Harti
- I benefited a lot from it being in the tree (a bit selfish to say, but true)

I would like to thank Harti for his hard work on Netgraph-ATM,
and all of the FreeBSD committers for producing a great OS
and a great piece of software that let me get my work done!!

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://crodrigues.org
rodrigc at crodrigues.org