geom_mirror implementation

Pawel Jakub Dawidek nick at garage.freebsd.pl
Wed Nov 12 02:59:39 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:20:23AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
+> With regards to the larger "volume management picture" I will
+> reiterate my position:
+>
+> Ideally I would prefer to have a set of primitive GEOM classes,
+> GEOM_MIRROR, GEOM_STRIPE, GEOM_RAID5 etc and a separate set of
+> "controller" GEOM classes, GEOM_VINUM, GEOM_RF, GEOM_VERITAS, to
+> recognize the various "traditional LVM" metadata on the disk, and
+> from that metadata stack the primitive modules.  This would in the
+> long term give us the maximal flexibility and ability with the
+> least code.

Actually I've done already GEOM_STRIPE class:

	http://garage.freebsd.pl/geom_stripe.tbz

	# stripe -v -s 65536 test /dev/da0 /dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3
	Magic value stored on /dev/da0
	Magic value stored on /dev/da1
	Magic value stored on /dev/da2
	Magic value stored on /dev/da3
	# ls -l /dev/*.stripe
	/dev/test.stripe

From my tests it is a bit faster than ccd(4).

+> So realistically I expect that we will some day soon see a
+> GEOM_RAIDFRAME (I gather Pawel is trying to help Scott on this).

Not really. I've start planing something different (see my previous mail).

Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel at dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net