Status of unionfs in -STABLE

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Nov 9 10:45:20 PST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Recently I've began to consider making some use of unionfs in
> (semi-)production environment.  Can someone aware of its current status
> in -STABLE comment a bit on this subject?

I use it *quite* extensively on all my production servers ... one is
running >90 unionfs mounted file systems to service as many jail'd
environments ... current uptime on all 4 servers is *knock on wood* 27
days, without incident.  There are a couple of conditions that I've
noticed can force a crash as a result of unionfs, pkg_delete seeming to be
one of them, and trying to work with a UNIX socket being the other ...

Beyond that, I've been using unionfs for almost 2 years now ... there was
a period there where I was hitting some major limits with vfs "file
descriptors" that both Tor and David did work on ... but, beyond those,
I've not been disappointed with using unionfs ...

One caveat I will say though ... if it crashes, fsck is *painfully* slow
... unionfs creates a bunch of 'zero length directories', and fsck has to
go through and clear each and every one of those ... I've had fsck's last