Kylix in FreeBSD

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Nov 7 02:00:46 PST 2003

Hmm, and to the list :)

> Rod Person + Terry Lamber wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 November 2003 09:09 am, It was written:
> > > If you futs with getting Kylix to run under FreeBSD, don't forget the
> > > special glibc requirements that some versions of Kylix have. Maybe you
> > > should probably simply replace the entire /compat userland with the
> > > userland of a distro that Kylix supprorts _with_ kylix extra patches
> > > installed?

RP:

> > Have you tried this?

No, I only needed the commandline compiler at the time. It is also only
a suggestion for something to look into.   I don't have Kylix anymore
(it was my employers)

> > Since Kylix came out I have tried to get it to run on FreeBSD and
> > various Linux distros. A few days ago I got kylix to run on SuSE 8.2
> > (from the kylix newsgroups this seems to be the best distro for it).
> > NetBSDs Linux emulation is based on SuSE, isn't it? But, I found no
> > postings related to Kylix on NetBSD. My next wondering is would NetBSD
> > Linux emu run under FreeBSD and would this run kylix?

No idea.

> Since all new developement in Kylix is apparently officially
> stalled, now would be a good time to do the porting work, since
> it's no longer a moving target...

Not me, IMHO the fpc (+lazarus) port is more important atm. It generates
much simpler apps, but it is native on every 4.x and 5.x with gtk12, and
connects to the free dbs without much fuzz :-)
Moreover it is not dead.

Kylix is dead. Probably both because Borland got in bed with Microsoft
because of .NET, and because it was no commercial success.

Kylix is a bastard child compared to Delphi, but not _that_ bad, and being
the only similar tool in the market should have made up for that.
Productivity is apparantly not appreciated under Linux yet, or the demand
for small/medium custom client-server apps on linux is still too low.