FreeBSD 5.1-p10 reproducible crash with Apache2

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 6 23:29:12 PST 2003

Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-1] "Branko F. Grac(nar" wrote:
> > I tried today with yesterday's -CURRENT. Same symptoms. No kernel panic,
> > just lockup.
>
> Ok, submit a PR with clear details on how to recreate the problem, and
> we'll see if someone can take a look into it.  I'm too busy to look at it,
> but at least putting it in a PR will ensure that it doesn't get too lost.
> Once the PR is filed, you might want to try asking on the freebsd-threads
> list; it sounds like the issue might be thread-related.
>
> (Note that your original e-mail might contain enough detail, I'm not
> certain; I just skimmed it.  Filing a good PR is important either way,
> mailing list messages get easily lost.)

Is gdb good enough in FreeBSD that you can break to the kernel
debugger with GDB enabled, and dump out the stacks for all
threads currently in the kernel for all processes?

The way to find this, if it's a threads related issue, is to do
exactly that, and then look to se if there's something like a
close in one thread of an fd being used in a blocking operation
in another thread.

-- Terry