Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Thu Nov 6 20:02:44 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:59:51PM -0800, Rayson Ho wrote:
> A very good paper about building HPC clusters with FreeBSD:
>
> "Building a High-performance Computing Cluster Using FreeBSD"
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/
>
> The author talked about hardware issues: KVM, BIOS redirection, CPU
> choices; and then talked about why he chose FreeBSD instead of Linux...
> he also did the port of GridEngine (SGE) to FreeBSD.
>
> Anyone tried to setup HPC clusters with *BSD??

Hi,

Not quite the same as an HPC cluster, but take
a look at the University of Utah's Emulab:

http://www.emulab.net

It is heavily based on FreeBSD (i.e. makes use of FreeBSD routing,
Dummynet, etc.).  The Emulab is a remotely accessible testbed
that researchers can use to conduct network experiments.  It
consists of about 200 PC nodes.  The same company that
Brooks works for (Aerospace), has apparently set up
an internal testbed based on the Emulab software developed at Utah.

I use the Emulab every day as party of my research work at
BBN, and it is an excellent facility.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://crodrigues.org