USB2.0 external hub and ehci question

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Tue Nov 4 20:56:08 PST 2003

[heh, got this reply over IPv6, sorry about the other bounce, at least some
 mail passes some ISPs, but drop me anyway and I'll catch the archives]

[sorry for the delay, you know, offline, real-life, laziness, etc]

> > namely, that I can't attach an external hub, supposedly with USB2.0
> > capability, and have it be recognized.
> > When I connect the external hub in its place, I get the error that the
> > port was disabled, STALLED -- just as I saw under old NetBSD.

> cypress hubs stall the controll endpoint without a reason when running
> high speed - even if it had one the specs say that the control endpoint
> shouldn't stall at all.

Oh wonderful.  So I have a shiny USB1.x hub with a USB2.0 label.
Heck, it was fun anyway, though it does sometimes work as USB1.x too...

> I have a workaround for the probing problem, but USB2 hubs won't work
> anyway, because at ehci is missing support for interrupt endpoints.

Oh joy.  I assume you mean that the current ehci.c codebase is missing
the support for this, and that some time in the future it may be added
or imported, rather than that it's not at all possible?

In other words, if the USB2-labelled hubs I see frequently nowadays in
grocery stores and the like might work later, I should still consider
them, and/or trying to hack the codebase?

In any case, maybe I need to disable the probing for a hub of this
type, as a Long Time Ago, with NetBSD, the EHCI probe failed (that
stalled error), and no USB1 attach was done.  Admittedly, I don't know
if this is also the case under FreeBSD, since I haven't properly updated
my machine to -current.

> Maybe there are other show stopppers too.

Erk.

Thanks for your informative replies!
Barry Bouwsma