Some mmap observations compared to Linux 2.6/OpenBSD

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Sun Nov 2 20:46:35 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Vivek Pai wrote:

> Before we proceed on this, I'd like to ask is there actuall a committer
> ready to follow up on this? We currently make our patches available on
> Ping's homepage, and they're relatively clean. He spent a fair bit of
> time getting it from a relatively ugly set of changes to something more
> elegant and better integrated with the rest of the kernel. However, even
> with the benchmark success that we've gotten (which Aniruddha Bohra
> mentioned in a different e-mail), we haven't had a single nibble from a
> committer. FreeBSD lags Linux badly on the SpecWeb99 benchmarks, and
> those are probably more representative than some arbitrary
> microbenchmark. It would be nice to get some respectable numbers on it,
> especially if we could do it with a stable user-space server.
>
> -Vivek

My main concern is that your patches may no longer cleanly apply to
-current, which could make integration more difficult.

If integration is easy, and if we can show some improvement with
webservers other than Flash, I'll help with integration.  However, with
the 5.2 code freeze starting in mid-November, I can't guarantee that we
could have it integrated by then.  However, that doesn't preclude us from
doing work on it during that time.  Does the version of flash available
for download (.1 alpha) have the changes which take advantage of your
enhanced sendfile integrated?

Mike "Silby" Silbersack