dhclient & dynamic DNS updates

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Nov 2 16:12:41 PST 2003

In a message written on Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:13:36PM -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
> I've never tried to make use of this feature.  The manpage for
> dhclient.conf(5) says:
>
>   "The fqdn.encoded option may need to be set to on or off, depending
>   on the DHCP server you are using."
>
> Which tells me that your client isn't sending the updates, but is
> asking the DHCP server to send the updates, which obviously depends
> on who's DHCP server you're talking to.

Actually, I believe the fqdn.server-update variable controls if the
server does the update or not, the fqdn.encoded just needs to be set
the same as the server.

I'm working on two test cases.

1) dhcpd does the forward and reverse updates for the client.  This
   works fine, and works great with dhclient (with fqdn.server-update
   on).  This proves a couple of things, including that my DDNS
   nameserver config is ok.

2) dhclient does a forward update only (basically same config with
   the key and zone sections added to dhclient.conf, and server-update
   set to off).  Under no set of flipping options have I been able
   to get dhclient to generate a DNS packet of any sort, much less
   a valid DDNS update.

> The dhclient.conf(5) does go on the describe a method of doing DNS
> updates in the DHCP client script.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to fall back to an external script, which
seems silly since dhclient is supposed to be able to do the update
itself.

> Myself, I've configured my DHCP server to honor 'send host-name'
> directives, and update my nameservers.  That way, even the most
> unsophisticated DHCP clients (re: Windows boxes) can make use of
> my infrastructure...

Agreed.  The end goal for config #2 though is boxes on the end of
cable modem or DSL lines using dhcp.  In that case I don't control
the DHCP server, I just want the client to add it's address to a
nameserver I do control so there is a way to get to it remotely.