dhclient & dynamic DNS updates

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Nov 1 15:34:14 PST 2003

I'm having problems getting dhclient to do dynamic DNS updates.
I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten this working.  I want
dhclient to dynamically update a forward zone.  I can't have the
server do it, as I don't control the server (cable modem setup).

I know I have named set up right, as I can have dhcpd update (at a
different site) update the server just fine.  So, my basic dynamic
DNS config seems to be ok.

I put the same key config and zone config in /etc/dhclient.conf.
Right off the bat I noticed something odd, in dhcpd.conf 'secret'
(in key) takes an argument in double quotes, qutoes in dhclient.conf
give an error.  With no quotes there's no error.  Similarly for
'key' (in zone).

Beyond that the only other things I've added are:

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
supersede domain-name "my.example.com";
send fqdn.fqdn "hostname.my.example.com.";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update off;

Best I can tell from the config this should make dhclient send a
dynamic DNS update to the server listed as "primary" in the zone
section adding hostname.my.example.com.  However, tcpdump shows no
DNS update packets of any kind coming from the machine running
dhclient.

What's the magic to get dhclient to emit a dynamic DNS update?