Vinum / 4.8 / Referenced disk / Recovery

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 30 19:58:14 PDT 2003

On Friday, 30 May 2003 at 18:21:53 -0400, Michael G. Jung wrote:
> After a reboot on 4.8 I ended up with a degraded raid 5 partition...
>
> The only thing special about my setup is.... 4944 drives spread over 3 channels,
> running SMP kernel.....

That's a lot of drives.

> One sub disk was down and the and the drive was referenced... in scouring the
>  mailing lists I saw where a referenced disk means you have referenced a
>  non-existent drive - I read this as one  vinum didn't think was defined.. in my
> case it was drive29  --> /dev/da29s1e
>
> I don't know how this got referenced !!!

It's part of your configuration.  From the printconfig output:

> drive drive29 device /dev/da29s1e

> It's been reboot many times and this has not happened.

It probably hasn't failed for.

> So I boldly created a config file for vinum and re-created the drive.....
>
> --- config file ----
> drive drvie29 device /dev/da29e
> --- end ----
>
> but I still can not start the sub disk.....
>
> (root at jammin) /home/staff/mikej# vinum start raid5-1.p0.s15
> Can't start raid5-1.p0.s15: Drive is down (5)
> (root at jammin) /home/staff/mikej#
>
> Here is what vinum thinks...... Do I rm the sub disk and re-create
> it?????

No.

> Will this kill my raid-5 partition ??

If you do enough messing around with the configuration, yes, you can
kill your RAID-5 plex.

In all probability, your drive has failed and requires replacement.
You'll see that from the system log file.  Look at
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html.  You don't need to
submit the information if you can understand it and take the
appropriate action.

Greg