RBEM10/100+56k at 32-bit cardBus

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Fri May 30 05:07:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:38:21AM +0400, Victor Bratsev wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Can anybody help me to solve this -
> I've got RBEM10/100+56k PCMCIA card and I can't get it work.
> Because my cardBus - it's 32-bit, and driver is 16-bit.
> I've got a message at startup pcmcia: 32-bit cardbus is unsupported
> and as result if_xe.ko is unloaded with strange fhdjklsah - if I try to
> kldload if_xe it says that it can't load module because it is already
> loaded, but kldstat says that there is NO if_xe loaded.
> FreeBSD is RELEASE-4.7 with custom kernel with device xe included.

CardBus is not supported at all in 4.x.  If you want to use this card
you'll have to upgrade to 5.x (which should be less of a scary option now
that 5.1-R is nearly here).  I'm pretty sure that the RBEM cards do work
with 5.x, although I can't remember which driver they use.  The xe driver
only supports 16-bit Xircom cards, though.  Their CardBus stuff uses
entirely different hardware.

Cheers,

	Scott