setting stacksize in "initial" thread (pthreads, 4.8R)

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun May 25 09:04:20 PDT 2003

I have a situation with a Python interpreter built from Python
CVS sources that is hitting the stack limit for the "initial" thread
imposed by libc_r:  PTHREAD_STACK_INITIAL in
/usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/pthread_private.h is set to 1MB (0x100000).

Compiler optimisation settings do affect whether Python's internal stack
check activate before the hard limit bites, and more recent versions of
gcc (than the stock gcc in 4.8R) are more aggressive users of stack.

I have not been able to find any documented way to control the stacksize
of the "initial" thread either programmatically, via a compile/link
option or by way of a resource limit in login.conf.  Is this possible
without rebuilding libc_r?

I don't yet have a 5.x install to check the situation - does the new
libthr/libkse setup differ in respect to the above?

Using the Linuxthreads port is a workaround for this situation,
but I'd rather that it not be necessary to rely on an extra
dependancy.

Cc'ed to the Python port maintainer for info.

Regards,
Andrew.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616