current crashes

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Fri May 23 17:43:27 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:47:24PM -0400 or thereabouts, Mikhail Kruk seemed to write:
> > > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > > fault virtual address	= 0x80790ab0
> > > fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> > > instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc06ea4d0
> >                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
> > This value is important, but meaningless in its current form.
> > Please see chapter 18 of the FAQ. Read it, do what it says,
> > give us the symbol(s).
>
> The address I have there ^^^ is beyond addresses that nm -s finds in this
> kernel. This is either because I screwed up the address when I copied it
> from display (very likely) or because the problem happened in acpi, which
> is a module, and therefore is not in /boot/kernel/kernel. Any way to
> recalculate the offset into the module?

Oh yeah... forgot about that :-)
This is a wild guess, but...
When the kernel loads, at the beginning of dmesg, it says something like:
Preloaded elf module acpi.ko at 0x12345678 [if run from loader]
If it's a cmdline-loaded kld, do `kldstat' and it'll tell you the load address.
Now, if my intuition is correct, you should be able to subtract the value above
from the load address. Do `nm -s /boot/kernel/acpi.ko' and search for this new value.

But all of this is moot if you can get a crash dump :-)

-- Josh