libkse and SMP (was Re: USB bulk read & pthreads)

Daniel Eischen eischen at pcnet1.pcnet.com
Wed May 21 22:14:39 PDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (May 21), Daniel Eischen said:
> > FYI, libpthread is now being installed (for x86 archs) by default
> > in -current and will be in 5.1-release.  It's currently installed
> > as libkse (use -lkse, not -pthread) and will be changed to libpthread
> > (-lpthread) for 5.2-release.
>
> I've not had luck with either libkse or libthr on my SMP machine.  The
> apps either hang or the system locks hard (can't even break into DDB
> from serial console).  Are you just concentrating on UP first, or
> should libkse work on SMP too?  The last time I tried was the end of
> April.

I've gotten the kernel to lock up hard when running one of
the ACE tests (MT_SOCK_Test), but I don't think it's KSE
related.  I'm on a UP system.  Most of the time that specific
test works fine, though.

All of the ACE tests have been tested with libkse on both
SMP and UP systems.  KDE and even mozilla work fine with
libkse (although libkse needs a patch to work around rtld-elf
not being thread-safe for mozilla to work).

--
Dan Eischen