open and euid security flaw in 5.0-Current?

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sat May 17 07:28:46 PDT 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Killing wrote:

> Thanks for that Robert will do some more investigation as it does break
> screen :(

Try replacing the devfs_access() contents with solely a call to:

	return (vaccess(vp->v_type, de->de_mode, de->de_uid, de->de_gid,
	    ap->a_mode ,ap->a_cred, NULL));

This should restore the traditional access controls for the controlling
terminal.  Again, I'm not sure what the rationale is for the  new access
controls, and want to find out before we make any changes to the base
system, but it does strike me that screen breaking is gratuitous :-).