Optimizations.

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Thu May 15 13:30:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:30:33PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hello hackers...
>
> IMHO optimization in FreeBSD's code has too low priority.
> Maybe is time to think about some 'optimiztion team' creation?

I think I don't want to see this happen based on professional
experience. My biggest concern is that it becomes a crusade.
For if your focus is performance, you pretty much loose track
of everything else. If not, then obviously you haven't been
focussing.

Don't get me wrong. Optimizing is a good thing, when done at the
right time for the right reasons and in the right way. Having
an optimization team created out of thin air can only lead to
round-table discussions that boil down to "Hi, I'm Marcel. I like
to optimize small objects" and before you know it all hell breaks
loose for a barely measurable performance change.

If you set yourself some simple goals and keep it high-level, then
we can all get used to the idea and we will probably find other
opportunities while we go. The end result can be much the same as
you try to achieve now, except that it has a bigger chance to be
integrated rather than some weird bunch on the side that plays
with compiler options "and shit".

Just a thought,

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net