Bridge config in /etc/rc (patch)

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 6 22:31:46 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 . at babolo.ru wrote:

> There no sed or grep in /bin or /sbin

This was another reason for my suggestion to keep the code simple, even if
I forgot to say it. :) Anything involving networking has to be dead
simple, because of some of the circular dependencies that you mentioned.

> Just as example - mount /usr from
> nfs server, which is possible after
> net setup, which is possible after
> sed use, but sed will be useable latter...
>
> It's time to invent new command as
> set bridge_* :-)

Yeah, that's more or less the direction I started heading mentally when I
was trying to unravel a way to do the devfs stuff without completely
losing my mind. I ultimately went a different direction for that
particular problem, but the idea of a "variable finder" function in
/etc/rc.subr is percolating back there somewhere. It sounds simple,
until you take a look at how many variables are actually set by rc,
infinitely variable user environments, etc....

Doug