Periodic email about security notifications

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon May 5 08:54:50 PDT 2003

At 2003-05-05T15:31:16Z, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at bellavista.cz> writes:

>     or something like this?
>
>     security_advisory_mirror_list="ftp0 ftp1 ftp2 ftp3 ftp4 ftp5 ftp6 ftp7"
>
>     getMirror () {
>         set -- $security_advisory_mirror_list
>         security_advisory_mirror=$(eval echo '$'`jot -r 1 1 $#`)
>     }

There's nothing at all wrong with that.  My goal, though was to
automatically add that functionality to *every* program that would
ordinarily connect to ftp.freebsd.org.  With the exception of changing some
default values, no programs would have to be modified to get the new
rotating-mirror capability.

Beyond that, someone could run a monitoring program that would take ailing
servers out of the DNS rotation as problems occur.  With an automated setup,
you could be guaranteed that a connection to "ftpmirror.freebsd.org" would
always work (given a short interval to allow DNS updates to propogate).
--
Kirk Strauser