CompactFlash / new GEOM / boot fails on certain brand / Soekris

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat May 3 07:59:38 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:42:17PM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Not sure if I am chasing a FreeBSD problem or a deficiency in certain ATA
> flash cards which lack, say sector 0, or something.
>
> On 5.0 release - on a soekris.com 4521.

i had similar problems in the past with 4.7-based sources on a
soekris 4501, and i tracked the problem to the bios returning an
error when reading multiple sectors at once from the flash card.
The same card works fine in a Lex System box and in a CF-ATA
adapter on my desktop machine, so i don't know if the bios
on the latter retries with single block reads or what.

This is what i posted. The patch goes to /sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot1.s
(it is inefficient because it always reads one sector at a time;
at the time i believe i found a way to read the full track on
the first attempt abd one sector on subsequent ones, but did not
save the actual patch).

hope this helps

	cheers
	luigi