per-directory quotas possible on 5.x ?

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Mon Jun 30 13:37:23 PDT 2003

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Robert Watson wrote:

> As you may have noticed in trying the vn-backed mechanism, there are some
> inefficiencies that turn up in FreeBSD when have large numbers of
> pseudo-devices, etc.  The resizing problem is real, also, since we don't
> have online file system resizing.  FWIW, a file system like HFS+ (which
> has a much more strict directory hierarchy) would lend itself to directory
> quotas much more.  A port of HFS+ to FreeBSD was recently posted to
> freebsd-fs.

Thank you for your very informative response.  I am curious, what sort of
inefficiencies do turn up when you have large numebers of pseudo devices ?

Do you have any comments on a system running, say, 100 vn-backed mounted
filesystems ?  200 ?  (presume moderate to heavy activity in each ...)

thanks!