setting up max ptys under 5.x

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Fri Jun 27 12:29:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Joshua Oreman wrote:

> > maxusers to 512 ... any new toggles I should know of to be able to use max
> > ptys on the system, or can I just follow whatever directions I hope to
> > receive regarding creating the devices ?
>
> 5.x creates the devices automatically. So if you have 256 users, you'll have 256
> ptys. If you have 0 users, you'll have 0 ptys. maxusers has no effect, setting
> it to 512 does seem a bit high...

Thank you - that is nice to know.  I have a related question - does this
apply inside of jails as well ?  I remember some testing on 4.x I was
doing with 16 jails, and even though I had 256 pty /dev nodes, if the /dev
inside the jail only had 32 of them (the default) then the jail users
would start getting denied logins and running out of ptys generally.

This happened even tho the underlying fbsd system had all 256 ptys - the
only way to solve it was to create all 256 ptys in the /dev of _the jail_
as well.

How will this work in 5.x - will it be automatic for everyone, or should I
perhaps mount a devfs for each jail ?/?

thnks!