setting up max ptys under 5.x

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Fri Jun 27 03:20:04 PDT 2003

For various reasons, in 4.x, I have been creating all possible pty /dev
nodes ...

# pwd
/dev
# ls *pty* | wc -l
     256

So far so good...now I am wondering how to do this in 5.x, what with the
devfs and all.  Basically the number of interactive users that log into
this system means I need to have all the possible ptys ...

What should my strategy be ?

BTW, I noticed that in my kernel config file I can no longer set:

device	  pty   256

I have to just set:

device	  pty

as I get an error if I put the number in place ... also I have set
maxusers to 512 ... any new toggles I should know of to be able to use max
ptys on the system, or can I just follow whatever directions I hope to
receive regarding creating the devices ?

thanks!