replacing sendmail with qmail

Lanny Baron lnb at FreeBSDsystems.COM
Thu Jun 26 12:18:36 PDT 2003

It ends up as a religious war. There is no perfection in this world.
Perhaps the next world.

We use Qmail. But we use it because of vpopmail and our free email service
at cybertouch.org. We used to use Sendmaail. It was great but at the time
we could not find a solution to not having system accounts.

Lanny

Colin Percival said:
> At 09:47 25/06/2003 +0300, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
>>As sendmail showed to be so vulnerable in the past, and even in the
>> recent
>>past, I was wondering to propose removing it from the default install on
>>freebsd. Currently, sendmail comes with the system sources, and runs as
>>root. I think this is bad, and it could be replaced with qmail, for
>>example. Or, something else, if you think something else is more secure.
>>Please let me know if this is possible, or why if not, and to whom shall
>>address this idea (I wonder why it didn't happen yet).
>
>    This topic has arisen many times in the past.  Basically, it comes down
> to this: Every MTA has its supporters and detractors; FreeBSD needs to
> have
> an MTA; FreeBSD currently has Sendmail.  It's simply not worth changing at
> the moment.
>    If you want to use qmail, go ahead and install it from the ports
> tree.  At some time in the distant future, when FreeBSD is fully
> packagized, it's quite likely that Sendmail will be just one of many
> installable options; but that time hasn't come yet.
>
> Colin Percival

Lanny Baron
Proud to be 100% FreeBSD
FreeBSD Systems, Inc / Freedom Technologies Corp.
http://www.FreeBSDsystems.COM
1.877.963.1900