How to delete unix socket entries

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 05:42:09 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:29:36PM +0400, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:

> > When I walk on site, if the sysadmin has a machine with an uptime over 150
> > days and is proud of it, I know I'm going to have an uphill struggle to beat
> > a clue into their thick, stupid, ignorant heads.
>
> It's good how you expressed it here about the heads :)

I liked it.

> Paul, I agree with you about planned system upgrades and other activities,
> connected with the server being rebooted, and surely I _CAN_ reboot the
> server if it is _REALLY_ needed. The goal is to reduce the server
> downtimes as much as possible, and when it's really needed, because of a
> kernel upgrades or likewise and not for a fixing the consequenses of a
> broken applications.

FBSD is not an RTOS like QNX that will just drop chunks of the OS then
restart those areas. If you write the application badly enough, you will
break the operating system. Where FBSD excels is that unlike older versions
of Windows if you write the application well, the underlying OS will not let
you down. :-)

> If this is the only way to make the server live when some applications are
> not behaving correctly, this is NOT a good thing.

Like I said, it's unreasonable to expect FBSD to take into account every
possible scenario. If there were a few million dollars knocking around,
maybe a few of the -arch and -hackers regulars could formally specify the
entire system and make sure this never happened, but for now, if you have an
app doing silly things, you either fix the app, or accept a reboot is the
only way to clear some special cases.

> Also you're getting new bugs and sideeffects going with the new kernel and
> world version, and need to rebuild and reinstall all or almost all of the
> software running on the server. This is of cause if you're keeping the
> server for performing some real work...

That's the benefit of -STABLE over -CURRENT. I would never advise people to
run -CURRENT on live servers. -STABLE has issues too, but much more
manageable in a live production environment.

--
Paul Robinson