USB, select/poll for ucom

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Jun 25 05:27:32 PDT 2003

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:13:56PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > hi,
> > 	while trying to port an application that works with tty to uplcom/ucom,
> > (and it doesn't work :-), and looking at the kernel sources and
> > trying to figure out USB, i think that select(2)/poll(2) will not work,
> > correct?
>
> I've seen Problemes with non 8n1 communications and I've also seen
> problems because most USB adapters only deliver 5.5V to the lines.
> I never noticed any select/poll problems and I don't think we have any
> because this is handled in common code at tty level.
>
> If you have any condition that shows something different please let
> us know.

i turned debug on and i could not see any calls to ucomread,
the program calls select(...) - but select does not initiate anything,
it justs waits to be woken when something is received (in the case of reading),
now, unless im wrong - which well could be :-), the read in this case must be
started - usb is a master/slave protocol, and this is not happening.

	if(select(fdset,...)) {
		if(FD_ISSET(ifd, fdset))
			read(ifd, ...
	}
danny
PS: im using 5.1-current, and im trying to get a Towitoko smartcard reader to
    work.