pkg_create broken by design?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Jun 24 17:37:41 PDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:21:14PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to make a package..
> > according to the man page for pkg_create:
>
> Look into the ports collections for thousands of examples of how to
> create packages.

>From what I see the ports install the software before making a package
of it..

(at least that is what I see happen when I do "make package")

I want to install to a directory that can not exist on the machine on
which the packing is being done because it has the name of an existing
file.

My problem is that the program pkg_create doesn't do what its docs SAY
it does.. and I[m confused because everyone here has hit this problem,
but no-one else seems to notice it, so we must be misreading the
docs, OR no-one else wants to fix the problem and has a workaround..

what I don't understand is why 'tar' wants to chdir to the unpack
direcory when it has been told that the srcdir is different.