question about rc.sendmail implementation...

John Von Essen essenz at essenz.com
Fri Jun 20 12:58:36 PDT 2003

I am unclear why rc.sendmail works the way it works. For instance, in my
rc.conf I have the following:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m"
sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"
sendmail_outbound_flags="-L sm-queue -q30m"

Note: I am not running the localhost submission agent and its related
clientmqueue cleaner. (Dont ask... I have my reasons for not running msp)

Now, if I do NOT use "/etc/mail/Makefile" to start the above config and
instead just ran the above commands and flags manually, I would have the
following two processes running on my system:

root 41975 ... 0:00.01 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
root 41978 ... 0:00.01 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:30:00 for /var/spool/mqueue

Now, if use mail/Makefile with "make start" and I have the above config in
rc.conf then I only see one process running:

root   41975 ... 0:00.01 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)

It is pretty obvious why this occurs, rc.sendmail has no routine for
handling the sendmail_outbound_enable="YES" entry from rc.conf. What I
dont understand is, why is this so? Why would it exist in rc.conf if
nothing in rc.sendmail handles it?

In my case, I simply modified mail/Makefile and rc.sendmail and added a
start-mqueue/start_mqueue (and a stop-mqueue/stop_mqueue) routine that
would parse the outbound entry from rc.conf.

Just curious as to why this is not the default?

-John