Interview in Byte with Chris Sontag/SCO and FUD relating toBSDsettlement agreement

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 19 21:51:24 PDT 2003

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > Really?  Can you point to the signed non-disclosure agreement
> > that he violated in order to publish his commentary?  The U.S.
> > was not nearly as anal about this stuff until the 1980's.
>
> Things have got worse, yes.  But certainly there was enough trouble in
> the 70s.

Not in the W.E. UNIX licenses, for the first few years.  That
was my point.  Like the English policeman, they were alarmed
when they thought about it, but about all they could contractually
do was say "Stop!  Or we'll ask you to 'Stop!' again!".

> >> Which university are you talking about?  UCB or UNSW?
> >
> > UCB.
>
> But John was at UNSW.

Not my fault that part was quoted out of context.  8-).  This
thread is about why ? = (*USLp) has no claim on the UCB code.

> > You're in the area, aren't you?
>
> For some definition of area.  UNSW is about 1400 km away.  But I'll be
> in the area in about 6 weeks time.
>
> > Why don't you ask to see the original license agreement that Lions
> > was under at the time of his commentary's publication.
>
> I think I'll ask Greg Rose.  He might have some interesting insights.

That would most likely be interesting, too.  8-).

-- Terry