[hackers] Re: BCM4401 ethernet driver

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Wed Jun 18 00:39:50 PDT 2003

On 18-Jun-2003 David Gilbert wrote:

> Duncan> I am in the process of rewriting this driver for FreeBSD. It
> Duncan> can transmit, but RX is not yet going properly. As this is
> Duncan> evening work, it's likely to take at elast another week.
>
>>> This is the onboard ethernet on my dell inspiron 8500 laptop and I
>
> I'm pretty sure this is the chipset on my Dell D800 laptop.  I would
> be interested in testing the drivers, too.  I'm running 5.1-RELEASE.
>
> Dave.

cool - are you a bit of hacker? If so, you should be able to cope with the
request below, and the explaination. If not, or you don't understand the
stuff below, then maybe the driver is not yet ready
for you (no offence intended).

The driver is not very ready (as I have some problems interrupt problems),
but can transmit. Receive is not working - well not even written. If you can
build

http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm.tar.gz

as a module, kldload it and then
    ifconfig bcm0 192.168.0.1
    ping -c 1 192.168.0.0
and send me the copious dmesg output I would be very grateful.

The mahcine I am developing on has a problem with interrupts. There is a
problem with RX DMA descriptors that I haven't figured out. Sebastian
sent me a log this morning and he has the same interrupt problem as I do.

Thanks

Duncan