Drawing graphics on terminal

Christian Brueffer chris at unixpages.org
Mon Jun 16 16:45:40 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:10:24PM -0400, Eric Jacobs wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:15:06 +0200
> Nakal <nakal at web.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently, I found vidcontrol and played a bit with it. I have been
> > looking for documents about how to output pixels (graphics) on the
> > terminal.
>
> See /usr/share/examples/libvgl
>
> > I could not find any. Before I give up, I want to ask here,
> > if it is possible to do that. What I want to do is to port my
> > applications from Linux-framebuffer to FreeBSD, but I am also thinking
> > about making a graphical installer for FreeBSD (eye-candy is always
> > nice to attract new users).
>
> I've been thinking about that too. The big question I have is whether
> it's a good idea to use a toolkit with a more restrictive license
> (GPL, LGPL, MPL), which would make it a lot easier, or come up with
> something that could be licensed under the BSD license. I know that
> FreeBSD has used the GPL'd libdialog in sysinstall for quite some
> time without problems, but maybe it is time to start thinking about
> something that is free in the BSD license sense.

Well, the important thing is, that you have a core lib that provides all
the functionality of the installer.  A thing which linux in 2.5.x has
already done and the libh project for FreeBSD aimed for.  If you have a
BSD licenced core-lib, the interface is fairly easy and can be easily
replaced.  So IMHO, the actual toolkit is not that important.

> I don't think the advantage of a GUI-based installer would be
> "eye-candy". libdialog looks fine IMO. It would be to increase the
> ease of use, allow more flexibility in installations, and add more
> troubleshooting/diagnostic options (disabling/enabling/loading
> device drivers, etc.)

The problem is not libdialog, but that sysinstall is not easy to
enhance.  It was never meant to stick around for such a long time :-)

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc