floppy.. Was: Drawing graphics on terminal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jun 16 12:44:01 PDT 2003

In a message written on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:37:08PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > Some of this could be done in the current installer, if there wasn't
> > an effort to make it still fit on a floppy.  Mind you, I'd like to see
> > the floppy based install stick around for a while, but I think FreeBSD
> > needs to embrace the CD reality.
>
> We have over a thousand machines in teh field with no CD but they do
> have floppies..
> we use the floppy when we upgrade.. It's still are requirement as far as
> I'm concerened :-)

Oh, absolutely, which is why I said it needs to stick around for a
while.  All I'm saying is it's clear a fancier installer needs more
space than a floppy can provide, and since PC standards are going
to a floppy-less PC it seems like making a bootable CD image is the
way of the future.  I don't think anyone argues that, my only
suggestion is FreeBSD get there sooner rather than later, and do
that by making a "minimal" install CD, rather than the complete
CD's available today.  Perhaps this can be done with a new GUI based
installer as well, letting the new "CD-install" run in parallel
with the "floppy install" for the 2-4 major versions necessary for
it to be fully baked.

Another idea is to make a floppy just smart enough to load the installer
over the network, since PC's generally have more memory these days...