vr(4) duplex problems

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Jun 16 02:39:39 PDT 2003

I have 4.8 vintage PC with an Epox 8K9A9I motherboard
(http://www.epox.com/html/motherboard.asp?product=EP-8K9AI&lang=1) which has
an onboard vr(4) interface.

I find that if the interface auto negotiates, it picks 100Mbit/FDX which
matches the switch, but transfers are very bursty. If I force half duplex 100
or 10 mbit it works as I would expect (unbursty..). 10mbit/FDX is bursty as
well.

The switch is an Alloy NS-16J (http://www.alloy.com.au/products/ns16J.htm),
and it works fine with other ethernet cards (Alloy 1430TX -
http://www.alloy.com.au/products/Alloy1430.htm, and an Intel Etherexpress
10/100 in my laptop, plus various 10mbit PCMCIA cards)

if_vr.c is at version 1.26.2.13 which I believe is quite recent, and most of
the changes in -current after the MFC are not duplex related (from what I
could see)

Does anyone have any patches, or ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5