kqueue alternative?

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 15 15:46:09 PDT 2003

Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> I'm writing a little application that needs to watch a file that another
> process is writing to, think 'tail -F'.  kqueue and kevent are going to do
> it for me on *BSD, but I'm also trying to support *cough* linux and other
> UN*X types OSes.
>
> >From what I can find on google, the linux community seems very opposed to
> kqueue and has not yet implemented it (they say: blah blah blah, aio_*,
> blah blah balh.)  What alternatives do I have with OSes that don't support
> kqueue?  I'd really hate to poll with stat(), but do I have any other
> choices?

The Linux community doesn't like level triggered instead of edge
triggered.

Basically, the KNOTE macro need another parameter, which can be
used as a rendesvous between a kevent and user space.  It has the
advantage of not limiting the PID's to 16 bits, as well.

I posted patches for this about 6 months ago.

-- Terry