Backporting burncd w/VCD support to 4.5-REL-p24

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Mon Jun 9 10:08:31 PDT 2003

On Jun 09, at 04:43 PM, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Per the subject, how much work will it be?
> >
> > For giggles, I grabbed the earliest burncd from CVS that supports VCD,
> > saved off my /usr/src/usr.sbin/burncd, then:
> >   # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/burncd
> >   # make all
> > The build puked on a few CDR* definitions, and a bunch of other stuff.
> > Later versions than the version I grabbed want stdint.h (which I don't
> > have), so I shied away from that.
>
> Doing a backport to 4.5 will include changes to the ATA driver in the
> kernel as well as to burncd, and is not a trivial matter...

I feared as much. Would this be the ATAPICAM (?) stuff done for 4.6?
OTOH, I backported the ICH sound support to 4.3; I'm not afraid of
tinkering with the kernel. But p'raps this comparison is apples and
oranges in terms of complexity.

> It would be far easier to upgrade the system to something newer like
> at least 4.7 where the support is already in...

I realize this, of course. I'm hesitant to do this because some of my
hardware is pretty old now, and I fear that the newer ATA/ATAPI sub-
system may not like some of my hardware. I do recall quite a few posts
about problems with the newer subsystem, but then again, quite some
time has passed now.

Lemme ask you this, then: Given a FBSD 4.5 system, is the CAM xpt
module patch (T. Quinot) and cdrecord a [more] viable option? Or am
I basically SOOL?

Thanks,
Dave

--