System Crash - please help me figure it out...

bsd at perimeter.co.za bsd at perimeter.co.za
Mon Jun 9 03:28:05 PDT 2003

bsd at perimeter.co.za writes:

> Dear Hackers,
>
> I have experienced a system crash for the first time in 10 months (last
> year in august I had a vinum issue which has been resolved with your
> help).
>
> Fortunately I still have a kernel with debugging enabled running, and the
> gdbmods script, so I can submit some useful data with this email.

On further reflection, here is more info which might be usefult to know:

1) I recently updated to 4.8 RELEASE.  I just looked at the kernel config
file and noted that I removed the "options VINUMDEBUG" a while ago.  This
might explain frames 13 through 15 in the crash dump being ?? .  Help me out
here please...

2) When upgrading I noted that the source for vinum had been changed in a
similar way to the patches I received from Greg Lehey and applied in August
2002, so I did NOT apply the patches again.  Perhaps I should have?

3) I also recently began using 'gre' devices for some VPN tunnels.  This is
new in 4.8.  I find it odd (in hindsight) that these are working OK thought
the "pseudo-device gre" line is absent from my kernel config file ???

FYI: kldstat is at http://docs.perimeter.co.za/crash/2003-06/kldstat

Regards,
Patrick.