Quota consistency/races

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Jun 3 20:05:21 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:43:01PM -0700, Sean Hamilton wrote:
> What measures are in place to ensure disk quota consistency? For instance,
> if a part of the filesystem changes while running quotacheck, I imagine that
> does not get accounted for.

There are none, don't do that if it matters.  In practice, it usually
doesn't matter much.  We run quotacheck in multiuser mode on one Linux
system I admin without major issues.

> Wouldn't somebody have trouble enabling quotas on a busy filesystem? The
> quota file would always lag behind the actual filesystem, and one cannot
> mount read-only because quotacheck must write the quota file.

You can use the check_quotas rc.conf variable to check your quotas at
boot time.  In general, doing this the first time and then turning it
back off is the best policy since it delays startup significantly.

-- Brooks