getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab

Murray Taylor murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com
Wed Jul 30 16:46:04 PDT 2003

Just a thort, not having tried it ..

does either of the 'standard' methods of including spaces actually work
in fstab ??

I speak of quoting (either single or double) and backslashing the space

"/mnt/space/silly long dirname/filename also with spaces"

or

/mnt/space/silly\ long\ dirname/filename\ also\ with\ spaces

mjt

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 23:31, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >>Do file system names and mount points with whitespaces violate the
> >>specification of fstab? If so, the least thing I'd suggest is the document
> >>this restriction.
> >>
> >>Or should one extend 'getfsent' such that is able to cope with those
> >>whitespaces? I am not sure whether this would have any further
> >>implications so I am asking here.
>
> Formal standards tend to avoid "system administration"
> issues such as this.  I doubt you would be violating any
> published standard.
>
> I say go for it.  If something else breaks because
> of this change, let's fix that, too.  I like the fact
> that FreeBSD works pretty well with other systems; lets
> keep pushing that.
>
> Tim Kientzle

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555